The Fuse

Beware of the Heat - Summer Construction Safety

Posted by Electric Supply on Jul 26, 2017 2:43:02 PM

Hot weather during the summer increases the risk of heat-related illnesses. Construction workers are at the highest risk of suffering a heat-related illness. This is because of their strenuous work and the amount of time they spend outdoors on job sites, including doing roadwork where the asphalt can reach 300 degrees or more. Working indoors in buildings without air conditioning and proper ventilation can be just as dangerous.

Read More

Topics: job safety, construction

What to Wear To Protect Yourself From Arc Flash

Posted by Electric Supply on Jun 5, 2017 11:06:23 AM
What to Wear To Protect Yourself From Arc Flash
 
Electrical workers are at high risk for injuries or death because of arc flash. Wearing the right personal protective equipment (PPE) can help reduce your risks. However, you must first be aware of what arc hazards exist on the job. There are some electrical work tasks that will always require workers to use PPE, including working with circuit breakers, working on energized electrical conductors and voltage testing.
Read More

Topics: job safety, PPE, Personal Protective Equipment, safety regulations

Electrical Safety Month - Why You Need to Protect Yourself

Posted by Electric Supply on Jun 5, 2017 10:59:50 AM
The Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) promotes Electrical Safety Month each May. The purpose of this campaign is to bring awareness and educate about what steps can be taken to reduce injuries and fatalities related to electrical accidents but safety should be top of mind every day of the year. It’s no secret that electrical workers are at the highest risk of injuries and fatalities because of the nature of their work. Electrical injuries can be extremely traumatic. Much of this is due to how the body influences the nature of injuries from electric current that can be conducted by water, air, earth or manufactured conductive materials.
Read More

Topics: job safety, PPE, Personal Protective Equipment, safety regulations

Hand and Foot Job Site Safety Tips

Posted by Electric Supply on Mar 16, 2017 8:00:00 AM
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, hand and foot injuries are responsible respectively for 110,000 and 60,000 lost workdays each year. Of workers who suffered hand injuries, 70 percent were not wearing gloves and the other 30 percent were wearing gloves that were inadequate, not meant for the work performed or damaged. When it came to foot injuries, 75 percent of the injured workers were not in compliance with wearing proper footwear or following safety standards that could have prevented their injuries.

Read More

Topics: hand injuries, foot injuries, hand safety, safety regulations, foot safety

Eye and Face Job Site Safety Tips

Posted by Electric Supply on Mar 15, 2017 8:00:00 AM
Workers are often exposed to numerous risks while performing their work, including construction work that can cause serious injuries. Some of the most troubling injuries are those that occur to the eyes and face because many result in permanent injuries, including blindness or disfigurement. In the United States, almost 2,000 workers experience workplace eye injuries that could have been prevented if proper personal protective equipment (PPE) had been used. The problem is that almost three out of five workers who suffer eye injuries were either wearing the wrong eye protection for the work they were doing or wearing no eye protection at all.

Read More

Topics: safety regulations, eye and face safety

Eye PPE: What to Wear and Why

Posted by Electric Supply on Mar 14, 2017 8:00:00 AM
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, more than 20,000 eye injuries occur in the workplace each year ranging from minor eyestrain to traumatic injuries that cause permanent damage. Thousands of those injuries resulted in workers being permanently blinded. The Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) has reported that the cost for eye injuries in the workplace cost is estimated at nearly $300 million a year from lost productivity, worker compensation and medical treatment. Ninety percent of the most serious eye injuries can be prevented by wearing proper protective eyewear.

Read More

Topics: safety regulations, eye and face safety

Job Site PPE Safety Reminders

Posted by Electric Supply on Mar 13, 2017 12:44:50 PM
Job Site PPE Safety Reminders

If you work in construction, you are already know that jobsites can be very dangerous. There is always various activities going on throughout the site, different tradesmen coming and going, and often heavy equipment onsite. There could be numerous hazards all at once, some known and some not always so apparent. The best way to stay protected on the jobsite is to make sure all appropriate measures are taken to reduce risks to your employees’ safety. You are required by law to provide and require your employees to wear personal protection equipment (PPE) that is appropriate for the hazardous conditions that they are exposed to. These regulations have been set by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).

Read More

Topics: job safety, head safety, hand safety, safety regulations, foot safety, eye and face safety

Reduce Your Risk of Foot and Hand Injuries

Posted by Electric Supply on Feb 1, 2017 5:40:14 PM

Hand and foot injuries are two of the leading causes of lost work days in the United States. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that more than 110,000 hand and 60,000 foot injuries caused lost-time during 2014. Many of those injuries could have been prevented by wearing the proper personal protective equipment (PPE) that is appropriate for the type of work that you are performing. But many also could have been prevented by making a concerted effort towards observing job site safety precautions. Here are a few job site safety tips to follow that could help you avoid hand and foot injuries. Preventing Hand Injuries on the Work Site More than a million workers are sent to the emergency room each year for hand injuries ranging from lacerations, fractures, burns to crush injuries. 70% of those injured were not wearing protective gloves, while the other 30% wore gloves that were either not suited for the work they were performing or were damaged. The hand is a complex structure with many bones, nerves, ligaments and tendons that can be damaged and often require surgical repairs. You can reduce your risk of hand injuries on the job site by:

Read More

Topics: job safety, hand injuries, PPE, reduce injuries, foot injuries, Personal Protective Equipment

The Benefits of Hiring an Electrical Contractor

Posted by Electric Supply on Nov 14, 2016 3:05:59 PM

Sometimes it is tempting to pay less for a job because of time and possible budget constraints. However in the world of contractors, the client will typically get what they pay for.  Electricity in the business is a vital part of growth and any issues that arise may have a negative or even harmful impact. Precise electrical design, installation or maintenance calls for the assistance of a trained professional who guarantees the best experience. Because of this, it is imperative to utilize the training and experience of an electrical contractor, and here are 5 clear benefits why:   

Read More

Topics: electical contracting

 

Do you have a question or comment? Contact Us!